By default, software update files are downloaded from the Internet using the credentials of the logged-on user and the proxy settings configured for the user in Internet Explorer. The UpdDwnldCfg.exe utility is available on the Configuration Manager 2007 DVD and on every site server. It can be used to modify the server and account credentials used to access the Internet through the following components:
When running the UpdDwnldCfg.exe utility to modify the server and account credentials, the following switches can be used:
- /s: Specifies the name of the firewall, proxy server, or ISA server computer, and the port number that is used when downloading software update files from the Internet.
- /u: Specifies the user account that is used to connect through the firewall, proxy server, or ISA server.
- /clean: Removes the server and account settings previously configured by running upddwnldcfg.exe.
Use the following procedures to modify the server and account settings used when software update files are downloaded from the Internet and to remove the settings previously configured by using the UpdDwnldCfg.exe utility.
To modify the server and account settings used when downloading software update files
On the site server, run <ConfigMgrInstallationFolder>\bin\<platform>\<language>\UpdDwnldCfg /s:<servername>:<port> /u:<username>. For example, for x86 and English (US), run <ConfigMgrInstallationFolder>\bin\i386\00000409\UpdDwnldCfg /s:MyProxy:80 /u:MyAccount.
1. When you run the UpdDwnldCfg command you are prompted to enter the password and confirmation at the command line.
2. The information you enter is stored in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\SMS\VPCache
a. It is stored on the machine you run upddwnldcfg on, not the site server
b. The fact that it is under HKCU indicates it is a per user setting and needs to be run on each machine (terminal server) and for each user who users a console.
3. This is good and bad :
a. You can have different users pointing at different proxy servers if required.
b. You can have each user using their own credentials
c. But you need to run it for each user on each machine.
Confirming Patch download credentials from the patchdownloader.log file